Government of Saskatchewan
Quick Search:
Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Common Questions

1. What is PDAP?

The Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) is designed to help residents, small businesses, agricultural operations, nonprofit organizations and communities recover from the effects of such natural disasters as flooding, tornadoes, plow winds and other severe weather.

2. Am I eligible?

To be eligible for assistance, your local authority (city, town, village, resort village, provincial park, rural municipality, or First Nation) must apply to be approved. If your community is not listed, contact them directly and inform them of your losses. They will need to apply to PDAP before you can submit your individual claim.

For homeowners to be eligible, the damaged property must be their primary place of residence (seasonal cottages are not covered under PDAP). For a business to qualify for assistance, it must make more than $4000.00 and less than $2 million in gross income, and have less than 20 employees.

3. What does PDAP cover?

The Provincial Disaster Assistance Program covers damage or loss to uninsurable, essential property. For homeowners, this may include such things as beds, essential furnishings, essential clothing, furnaces, water heaters, fridges, stoves, computers and televisions. For business owners, eligible items may include stock and supplies, essential work clothing, and other necessities. For agricultural claims, this may cover damaged fencing, bales, and field erosion. PDAP may also help cover the cost of clean-up, repairs and temporary relocation.

It is important to remember PDAP is not a substitute for private insurance nor does it provide full compensation for losses. PDAP provides assistance to return property to its pre-disaster value; expenses beyond that value will not be covered by PDAP. It does not provide financial assistance for drought or fire-related losses. It does not cover any loss of production or loss of revenue - including unseeded acres of agricultural land - as these losses are insurable.

4. What assistance am I eligible to receive?

Homeowners and renters are eligible to receive compensation for damages up to a maximum of $240,000. Small businesses are eligible to receive compensation for damages up to a maximum of $500,000.

5. Where and when do I apply?

Application forms are available from approved local authorities. Apply as soon as possible. The sooner PDAP receives your application, the sooner you will receive assistance. Include all required documentation, as PDAP cannot begin processing your claim until it receives all supporting documents. These documents may include a letter of denial from your insurance company (for all claims), a notice of your gross income from your most recent income tax assessment (for small business and agricultural claims), or your mission statement (for nonprofit organization claims). All applications must be received within six months of the disaster.

6. Where can I get help in applying to PDAP?

Local authorities can find helpful tips on applying here. Homeowners, tenants, small businesses, agricultural operations and nonprofit organizations can find help here.

7. What should I do in the meantime?

If the disaster is ongoing, be sure to record any emergency repairs and measures you take to prevent further losses, as you will need to demonstrate your damages and expenses to an adjuster. Take photos and keep samples of emergency building materials used. Any repairs or cleanup that can be safely postponed should be postponed until an adjuster can inspect the site.

PDAP encourages you to begin immediate cleanup of wet material as soon as possible to prevent mould problems. Make a record of all cleanup efforts as you will need to demonstrate your damages to an adjuster. Record equipment usage costs (fans, dehumidifiers, shop vacs, sump pumps). Take detailed photos of all damages, including before and during cleanup. Keep small samples of ruined carpeting. Remember, it's better to have too much documentation than too little. Be sure also to record your work hours and to keep receipts and invoices related to the cleanup effort.

© 2014 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.